Livermore Area Recreation and Park District 9/11/2019

 

CALL TO ORDER - ROLL CALL - PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

PUBLIC COMMENT

CONSENT ITEMS

DISCUSSION AND ACTION ITEMS

COMMITTEE REPORTS

MATTERS INITIATED/ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE DIRECTORS

MATTERS INITIATED/ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE GENERAL MANAGER

OPEN SESSION DISCLOSURE REGARDING CLOSED SESSION ITEMS PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54957.7

CLOSED SESSION


MEETING


September 11, 2019

LIVERMORE AREA RECREATION AND PARK DISTRICT

REGULAR MEETING of the BOARD OF DIRECTORS

MINUTES

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2019

7:00 P.M.

ROBERT LIVERMORE COMMUNITY CENTER

4444 EAST AVENUE, LIVERMORE, CALIFORNIA

DIRECTORS PRESENT: Directors Faltings, Palajac, Pierpont, Wilson

and Chair Furst

DIRECTORS ABSENT: None

STAFF MEMBERS PRESENT: Mathew Fuzie, Patricia Lord, Jeffrey Schneider, Alexandra Ikeda, Linda VanBuskirk, Rod Attebery

1. CALL TO ORDER - ROLL CALL - PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE:

Chair Furst called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m. All Directors were present. Chair Furst led the Pledge of Allegiance.

2. PUBLIC COMMENT: None.

3. CONSENT ITEMS (Motion)

3.1 Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of August 28, 2019

3.2 General Manager's Monthly Report - September 2019

Chair Furst stated he had a couple of minor changes to the Minutes of August 28, 2019. Moved by Director Wilson, seconded by Director Faltings, approved the Consent Agenda, with minor changes to the minutes as provided by Chair Furst, by the following voice vote:

AYES: Directors Faltings, Palajac, Pierpont, Wilson, and

Chair Furst

NOES: None

ABSTENTIONS: None

ABSENT: None

4. DISCUSSION AND ACTION ITEMS

4.1 RECREATIONAL TRAIL USE LICENSE AGREEMENT WITH ZONE 7 WATER AGENCY

Chair Furst stated the Board would consider approving a Recreational Trail Use License Agreement between LARPD and Zone 7 Water Agency. Assistant General Manager Patricia Lord presented a follow-up report to the one given to the Board at its August 28, 2019 meeting. AGM Lord explained that additions requested by the Board at that meeting have been incorporated into the Recreational Trail Use License Agreement and are highlighted in the agreement attached to the current staff report.

Director questions/comments included: Were these changes made between the General Managers of each agency, or did they go before their Board? [AGM Lord responded that the Draft License Agreement was reviewed at the August 21, 2019 meeting of the Zone 7 Board of Directors on its consent calendar, which was unanimously approved. It was then presented to the LARPD Board of Directors at its August 28, 2019 meeting, where the Board made suggested revisions. Discussions between Zone 7 and LARPD staff have been conducted prior to the September 11 LARPD Board meeting. GM Fuzie added that staff understands that if there are no further substantive changes, it will not need to go back to the Zone 7 Board.]

No public comment.

Moved by Director Faltings, seconded by Director Palajac, adopted

Resolution No. 2675, approving a Recreational Trail Use License Agreement between LARPD and Zone 7 of Alameda County Flood Control and Water Conservation District, by the following roll call vote:

AYES: Directors Pierpont, Faltings, Wilson, Palajac,

and Chair Furst

NOES: None

ABSTENTIONS: None

ABSENT: None

4.2 MEMO OF UNDERSTANDING WITH TRI-VALLEY COMMUNITY TELEVISION

Chair Furst stated the Board would consider approving the services provided to LARPD by the Tri-Valley Community Television pursuant to the Memo of Understanding for FY 2019-20. AGM Lord reiterated that at the July 31, 2019 regular meeting of the Board of Directors, staff was directed to increase the level of service provided by Tri-Valley Community Television to include recording and rebroadcast, with the addition of video on demand, chapterized agendas and chapterized minutes. The overall increased cost to the District will be $5,000 per year for these additional services.

Directors' questions/comments included:

. Will the video on demand of Board meetings be shown on the TV30 website and LARPD website? [Yes, available on both websites. TV30 will provide LARPD with a link to post on our website, which will take viewers to the TV30 website.]

. How will LARPD get analytical data on viewership? [That will be available through the LARPD website via another platform which will provide analytics, so that the District can capture the number of views, for example. TV30 will give basic information, but more in-depth information will come from another vendor.]

. Chair Furst and Director Faltings suggested that other Directors take a look at TV30's presentations to get insight on how they come across to viewers.

. Director Pierpont recalled that when representatives from TV30 attended the July 31, 2019 meeting, they discussed that data can be provided from TV30's website from clicks on the LARPD icon; additionally LARPD can track data clicks from the LARPD website. What we won't have is the data from the television broadcast on Comcast.

. Chair Furst asked Staff to be sure to convey to TV30 far in advance when LARPD board meetings will be held. Normally, they are the second and last Wednesdays of the month, but in October we are making a change. Please make sure that is conveyed to them. [AGM Lord confirmed the meeting schedule has been provided to TV30.]

No public comment.

On a motion by Director Pierpont and seconded by Director Wilson, The Board of Directors voted unanimously 5-0-0 approving the services provided to LARPD by the Tri-Valley Community Television pursuant to the Memo of Understanding for FY 2019-20.

4.3 FINANCE ORGANIZATION REVISIONS AND TWO NEW JOB CLASSIFICATIONS

Chair Furst stated the Board would consider approving the re-organization of the Finance Department and the new Job Classifications of Purchasing Agent and Accountant. GM Fuzie stated that this item is presented as an attempt by the District organizationally to become a healthier fiscal organization. There is room for improvement related to the District's procurement practices and policies. Administrative Services Manager Jeffrey Schneider presented the staff report which highlighted the proposed changes to the Finance Organization through elimination of the existing Accounting Supervisor job classification; reassignment of the existing Accounting Supervisor to a new job description as Purchasing Agent, and the creation of a new job description of Accountant. ASM Schneider stated that the Finance Department is beefing up procurement and looking forward to adding a seasoned Accountant to help with our financial close, audit, and financial reporting processes.

The item was reviewed and recommended by the Finance Committee at its July 25, 2019 meeting, and also the Personnel Committee at its August 29, 2019 meeting.

Board questions/comments included: Who do the two Administrative Assistants mentioned in the staff report (one in CIP and one in Administration), report to? [Sandra Kaya reports to AGM Patricia Lord; and Michelle Newbould reports to Bruce Aizawa.]

No public comment.

On a motion by Director Palajac and seconded by Director Faltings, The Board of Directors voted unanimously 5-0-0 approving the re-organization of the Finance Department and the new Job Classifications of Purchasing Agent and Accountant.

5. COMMITTEE REPORTS

1) Director Faltings reported on the September 10, 2019 Program Committee meeting. The topic discussed was an overview of Facility Rentals and Operations, presented by Alexandra Ikeda, Recreation Department Manager, and Joseph Benjamin, Recreation Supervisor.

? The Committee recommended that Ms. Ikeda and Mr. Benjamin bring their presentation to the full Board.

2) Director Wilson reported on the September 4, 2019 Livermore Cultural Arts Council meeting. She announced that the annual Art Walk is coming up on October 12, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. She also announced that the LCAC and all of its members, including LARPD, will have a library display at the Livermore Public Library throughout the month of October.

3) Director Faltings reported on the September 11, 2019 Alameda County Chapter of the California Special Districts Association meeting. She attended the meeting along with AGM Lord in Oakland, CA, hosted by the East Bay Regional Park District.

? CSDA is encouraging districts take action by submitting letters asking the Governor to veto AB 1184 (Gloria). Assembly Bill 1184 (Gloria) will require all public agencies, including special districts, to retain all emails related to the public's business for two years. The practical effect of this is that every public agency will need to keep all emails, sent and received, including out-of-office and spam emails for two years. The bill states that this is to be done in furtherance of the California Public Records Act (CPRA) to ensure that the State will not need to reimburse public agencies for any additional costs associated with this new mandate.

? CSDA also reminds its members that March 26, 2020 will be the Annual Dinner Meeting of the ACSDA.
4) Chair Furst reported on the September 4, 2019 Chamber of Commerce Business Alliance meeting. (It was his birthday!) The topic discussed was the Safe Parking Program.

5) Vice Chair Palajac reported on the August 29, 2019 Intergovernmental Liaison Committee meeting held at Livermore City Hall. Topics discussed were the City's Tobacco Ordinance and Juul Referendum and the Joint Agency Anti-Vaping Efforts.

6. MATTERS INITIATED/ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE DIRECTORS

1) Director Palajac stated that two of these items came from the public meeting held at Bothwell Park on July 24, 2019:

a. An idea was presented to have a sprinkler program on hot days with some means of notifying the public that on very hot days LARPD will have certain sprinklers turned on at certain parks so the public can come and run through the sprinklers. Many people thought that would be a good idea. She would like to see if we can do something for next summer to put that into play and see how that works out. [GM Fuzie said that was to be one of his Matters Initiated, to report that we have already started the process.]

b. Livermore Police Dispatch does not have enough information on LARPD trails in the system, so if an emergency call comes in, Dispatch currently cannot identify the location. Director Palajac recently met with the Dispatch personnel to find out what they need. In additional to the incident at Sycamore Grove Park this past weekend, she was told that there was another incident in Holdener Park where someone fell on their bike and Dispatch had no way of knowing where they were on the trail system; so it's becoming more and more of a problem. Director Palajac would like to see if there is a staff member that can work with Dispatch and with Alameda County Dispatch, because they are the ones that send the ambulances, so that we can make the trails safer. [GM Fuzie stated he will take this under advisement, but he is already thinking about potential answers. He will look for regional contact info.]

c. Since she and Chair Furst are both on the Safe Parking Committee that will be in effect for a year, she suggested these meetings be added to the standing Community Outreach Liaison Committees list so that they will be reminded to report on those meetings.
2) Director Pierpont announced that Livermore Downtown will be hosting a couple of events:
a. Sunday, September 15th will be Taste of Downtown. Local businesses and shops are hosting wineries, breweries and restaurants in their stores. He invited the community to come in and shop, while tasting culinary creations from our Downtown chefs.

b. Livermore Valley Talent to Table will be on Sunday, September 22nd between 6-9 p.m. on First Street. Tickets will be sold out quickly.

7. MATTERS INITIATED/ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE GENERAL MANAGER

GM Fuzie made the following announcements:

1) This weekend will be Children's Fair here at the Robert Livermore Community Center. All are invited and welcome to come.

2) Dogtoberfest is coming up on Sunday, October 13, 2019 from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at Robert Livermore Park.

3) Turning sprinklers on during heat waves: Staff is excited about an idea to hold these regionally throughout the city and somehow creating a game to go along with this activity/adventure. Recreation, Marketing, and other Departments are working on the pros and cons of the idea. This was a great suggestion from members of the public.

8. OPEN SESSION DISCLOSURE REGARDING CLOSED SESSION ITEMS PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54957.7

Chair Furst announced the Board would adjourn to Closed Session pursuant to Item 9 listed below. Open Session was adjourned at 7:32 p.m.

9. CLOSED SESSION

9.1 CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - ANTICIPATED LITIGATION

Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(d) (2): 1 potential case

9.2 PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION

Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957

Title: General Manager

10. RETURN TO OPEN SESSION; REPORT ON CLOSED SESSION - PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54957.1

The Board came out of Closed Session at 9:03 p.m. and Chair Furst announced that no reportable action had been taken in Closed Session.

11. ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 9:03 p.m.

APPROVED,

______________________________
David Furst

Chair, Board of Directors

ATTEST:

__________________________

Mathew L. Fuzie

General Manager and

Ex-officio Clerk to the Board of Directors