November 13, 2019
LIVERMORE AREA RECREATION AND PARK DISTRICT
REGULAR MEETING of the BOARD OF DIRECTORS
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2019
ROBERT LIVERMORE COMMUNITY CENTER
4444 EAST AVENUE, LIVERMORE, CALIFORNIA
DIRECTORS PRESENT: Directors Faltings, Palajac, Pierpont, Wilson, and Chair Furst
DIRECTORS ABSENT: None
STAFF MEMBERS PRESENT: Mathew Fuzie, Joseph Benjamin, Alexandra Ikeda, Dana Jones, Jill Kirk, Jeffrey Schneider, Patricia Lord, Michelle Newbould, Linda VanBuskirk, Monica Streeter
CALL TO ORDER - ROLL CALL - PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Chair Furst called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m. All Directors were present. Chair Furst led the Pledge of Allegiance.
PUBLIC COMMENT None.
3.1 INCLUSIVE PLAY: THE BASICS OF ACCESSIBILITY, INCLUSION, SENSORY INTEGRATION, AND INTERGENERATIONAL PLAY
Chad Kennedy, Principal Landscape Architect with O'Dell Engineering, and Samir Khanna, Senior Landscape Architect with O'Dell Engineering were present in the audience. The Board received a PowerPoint presentation from Mr. Kennedy, which highlighted concepts related to the design of comprehensive inclusive play environments, including information on ADA Standards for Accessible Design. The presentation discussed the many types of disabilities present in the U.S. population, and how children with disabilities have the same right to participate together with all on the playground -- everyone needs play!
3.2 FACILITY RENTALS AND OPERATIONS
[Due to technical difficulties, this item was reordered on the agenda to be heard after Item 8.]
GM Fuzie introduced Allie Ikeda, Recreation Department Manager, who then introduced Joseph "Joey" Benjamin, LARPD's new Recreation Supervisor, who oversees Facility Operations and Rentals. The Board then received a PowerPoint presentation which highlighted the District's many facilities and their capacities, including yearly rental statistics, and the many community groups and partnerships served.
4.1 Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of October 30, 2019
4.2 General Manager's Monthly Report - November 2019
Moved by Director Wilson, seconded by Director Palajac, approved the Consent Agenda, by the following voice vote:
AYES: Directors Faltings, Palajac, Pierpont, Wilson, and Chair Furst
DISCUSSION AND ACTION ITEMS None
1) Director Wilson reported on the November 6, 2019 Livermore Cultural Arts Council meeting.
2) Director Palajac reported on the November 6, 2019 Chamber of Commerce Business Alliance meeting which she attended on behalf of Chair Furst.
3) Director Faltings reported on the November 13, 2019 Alameda County Special Districts Association meeting held at the Union Sanitary District office in Union City.
4) Chair Furst reported on the November 12, 2019 Intergovernmental Liaison Committee meeting. Vice Chair Palajac also attended the meeting, along with several LARPD staff members. Laura Mercier, Executive Director of the Tri-Valley Conservancy, was in attendance and announced that December 12th at 1:00 p.m. will be the grand opening/ribbon cutting ceremony of the Edward R. Campbell Bridge at Sycamore Grove Park.
MATTERS INITIATED/ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE DIRECTORS
1) Director Faltings reported that several Directors and LARPD staff attended the Tri-Valley Conservancy's 25th Anniversary of the Jeans & Jewels fundraiser held at Casa Real in Pleasanton on November 4, 2019.
MATTERS INITIATED/ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE GENERAL MANAGER
GM Fuzie made the following announcements:
1) A ribbon cutting ceremony is being planned in mid-December for the newly-renovated May Nissen Playground. Staff is currently working with the contractor on timing. The Board will be updated as soon as a final date is chosen.
OPEN SESSION DISCLOSURE REGARDING CLOSED SESSION ITEMS PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54957.7
Chair Furst announced the Board would adjourn to Closed Session pursuant to Item 10 listed below. Open Session was adjourned at 8:18 p.m.
10.1 Conference with Legal Counsel - Anticipated Litigation
Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section
54956.9(d)(2): 2 potential cases
11. RETURN TO OPEN SESSION; REPORT ON CLOSED SESSION - PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54957.1
The Board came out of Closed Session at 9:28 p.m. and Chair Furst announced that no reportable action had been taken in Closed Session.
12. ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 p.m.
Chair, Board of Directors
Mathew L. Fuzie
General Manager and
Ex-officio Clerk to the Board of Directors